Friday, April 29, 2016

"I think it's time we meet"

Sunday afternoons have been sung about because of how amazing they are. I know, I know the rest of the world has to prepare to go back to work and school, but us hairstylist's get a day off. I can remember that Sunday so vividly. I had the old flip phone, the one that was an off navy blue with a tight ((click)) when you snapped it closed. Oh my how I loved that thing!!!!(I hate phones now a days) I had a routine, still do. Each Sunday afternoon I would go to the gym after church and lunch. So I remember feeling more on fire than ever because the guy "I" wanted to call me did and I was going to call him back. I called on the way to my gym, I always packed my clothes before I left the house in the morning so I didn't have to go home and waste time. Brilliant I know. I was of course driving and on the phone when it used to be not so hated and scrutinized. I agree people are killing each other left and right from being on phones and texting so I am not complaining, just making a statement that it was uber cool 14 years ago to hold on a convo while driving. Sooooooo, when he picked up that call and talked to me while I was driving I was on cloud 9. You know the feeling I'm talking about. The pins and needles that everything he says is right and cool and totally right and cool. It's every girl's dream for a guy to talk to her, no matter what! In the beginning he's awesome whatever he says.(Don't worry I've learned from then) I was so proud to tell him that I went to the gym. I thought he was going to think I was so in charge for taking care of my body. If I had listened carefully I would have picked up on his hesitation, he said "gym"?? I think if you've studied the spicy Puerto Rican boys they think working out is only for men. Um NO. I told him that I workout to lose weight since I was born into a family where we "live to eat" not "eat to live". I explained to him that I was trying to be a better version of myself and he had met me in the midst of that. He was adamant that I not talk to guys and to be careful. Boys. They crack me up. I had been living on my own, but he was giving me pointers to survive. Hmmmmm.....where were ya a few months ago when I was kicked to the curb?! Ha! I managed. It never took me long to get to the gym because I had a fly car. Yes, my cool car was able to cruise right along to the gym. I told him I had to get going, when he asked me if we could get together soon. I figured sure, why not. I told him I didn't work on Monday's but that I needed to get things done around the house and I would go to the gym and be home before dark. I would just wait for his call. He said ok, he'd call me tomorrow in the afternoon. OH my word, I wouldn't sleep. I just knew I would lay awake and think about what would happen if he changed his mind since that night at the dance club. What if he wasn't into me anymore when he saw me. Maybe I was too chubby and needed more time to lose more weight. Or my hair wasn't right. Geesh. I would drive myself nuts going through every last detail of what if's. You can't imagine how insecure I was to have this young man not like me. I seemed to face adversity everyday in my career. I have to meet new people on the half hour, look them in the face, help them pick out a style and then cut their hair. This boy on the other hand was just able to push me right over the edge. I just had to make him like me. I just had to land the position of girlfriend. I had to get him to pick me out of all the perfect pretty girls in the world. How the Heck was I going to do that????????? I would paint my nails. You laugh, but I used to be the Queen of Nails round these parts back in the day. I still do my own painting or manicuring. I love it. I felt better after getting ready to see this guy. I thought I had it all planned out. I would make sure I looked great and I would clean my house preparing to have a cute guest and we would take it from there. I loved the anticipation of that moment when my phone went off and it was him. I could feel the chills go down my spine when I knew he was choosing to call me out of anything else in the world to do. It really is a cool thing when you think about it. Remember the weeks where I was trying to find him and now he's calling me. AAAHHHHHH! Life is good. He wanted me to know that he would be driving up from Lancaster where he lived and it would take him a good 45 min. It was already 7pm. LOOOONNNGGEEESSST day ever. I had been fidgeting for hours waiting for his call. Not like I was desperate and waiting for his call. I just thought since we decided on hanging out he would have called sooner. I thought well there isn't much time left to hangout before it gets dark. Oh well, I was a grown up now so I could decide when it was time for bed and when it wasn't. It just might be a tough day tomorrow at work standing all day while I'm tired. WHO CARES! HOT BOY CALLED ME AND IS ON HIS WAY! Was I nervous? Sure. I think any girl in my situation would be nervous. I had picked a Spanish lover who didn't speak the best English and looked to be older than me while being a dedicated drinker and I was a sober saint to my current Faith status twice removed if ya know what I mean.(oh gosh how was I ever going to get into Heaven) So yes, to answer your question I was terrified. Didn't stop me. I was going to give this a try. If it killed me, well then I got what I deserved. Not the best attitude but it was the one I had chosen. You have to be totally committed to being bad azz or it just doesn't feel the same. I got a call about 55 min later. He was lost. It figures. I had been falling asleep on the couch when he called me and I answered in an irritated tone. "Where are you"? He tried to tell me but it wasn't computing in my spanglish brain so I asked him what he was near. He said this Hotel parking lot that was near by. I told him to wait there I would be right there and help him get to my apartment. Gee wiz, now I have to get shoes on and go down in the car lot to get my car. Okay here goes. I got there in 5 min, it was literally right down the road. I pulled in and pushed my window down so he could see me and I could see him. I was so afraid that when he looked at me he would drive off. We met eyes and he took his cool sunglasses off to see me. He said "oh wow" You are so beautiful Laura(said in Spanish accent). I remember my reaction to seeing him for the first time in over a week, I was silent. He said "what"? I have a flair for the honest approach so I told him HE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL I COULDN'T STAND IT. He just laughed and said thanks. He followed me back to my place. I let him in the building and when he saw my apartment and how perfect it was he was blown away. He said this is all yours??? yep! It had cathedral ceilings which to this day I still remember coming home to was one of the best things in my life. He just loved the place. He saw my couches and television and thought we would watch TV. I said I don't have TV or cable rather. He almost passed out on the floor. I told him I didn't have time in my life for it so I don't watch any. He motioned for me to come sit by him on the couch. I couldn't......I was too nervous. I didn't want to make the wrong move or say the wrong thing. I just wanted to stand back and watch him. I was immediately taken with him. I wanted nothing more than to put him on a shelf and keep him for myself. Sickening I know. I know now how dangerous young love (which is really infatuation) is. I didn't know what to do with myself. I had to get some help. I was staring at this guy like I had never seen a man before. I knew he could tell. He asked me again to come sit next to him. I reluctantly moved over towards him. I was staring directly at his face. I had never seen anything so beautiful in my entire life (I hadn't seen the Dwayne the Rock Johnson yet). I had nothing to compare the feeling to. It had happened in the dance club and it happened again when I saw him the second time at the club. Seriously, I was twitterpated. I sat there speechless. He slowly reached for my face. He held me in his hands and asked me what was wrong? I said almost in disbelief how he was sitting in front of me and I had been waiting for so long to find him. He began to laugh, he said his friend was sick of hearing about me. He had been in contact with his buddy from the club and was telling him that we were going to finally meet up. He said good, maybe you'll stop talking about her! I just sat there smelling his cologne and watched his every move like I was being paid to watch him breath. I think he could tell I was nervous, so he just had me lay my head on a pillow while he stroked my hair. We talked about our lives, our families and our jobs. The time flew by and it was waaaayyy past the time I should have been in bed. I said I had to get to bed so I could do a great job on my client's hair. He was so polite and gentle with me. He moved ever so slightly up on the couch and helped me sit up. He looked in my face and said that I was so nice and special. He had never met any girl like me before. I was a goner. He took my head so swiftly that I never had time to react. He kissed me so passionately I had no idea my body could react that way. Every inch of my body was tingling and I never wanted that feeling to go away.....

No comments:

Post a Comment