Friday, February 26, 2016

Lipstick anyone?

I personally over the years have not felt connected to much, until I realized how appropriate it's entirety is to my whole life existence. SAY THAT TEN TIMES! Phew! It wasn't long after that, I knew I was surrounded by misery I figured out it's one main goal is "company". What was a girl to do when I had tapped out of my job description and wanted more out of the life? I had mustered up 7 years and 7 months time in the first salon I had gotten a job at. It was time I reevaluated the goals I set out before me, not only did I want to own my own salon, but I wanted to continue to learn new things about the hair industry itself. See nails and makeup I could continually practice on myself and teach myself new techniques or tricks. Hair on the other hand I only had myself so I tapped out of my growth there unless I could gain a new environment to push me. I know it must have felt to my coworkers that I was judging myself to be greater than they were......yeah...not an intellectual thought from them, considering they would also have to come from the mindset to continually push themselves to stimulate growth for themselves let alone another person. But alas my mindset was either I'm given more responsibility or I have to find something else. I wanted so badly(even now) to continue to learn and to push past where I was yesterday. I do not like it when surrounded by adults, miserable since birth, who want to wipe whatever bit of a dream you have left to achieve right out of your head!!! It wasn't long after I realized I need continual growth or stimulation to find myself happy and in bliss that I was walking through Kmart here in town and was approached by this young girl about my makeup. Who doesn't love a sweet beautiful young girl telling you that your makeup is fabulous????? She hooked me....don't give her too much credit. My mother had never told me that before, I was starving since birth to hear a positive feedback on my lip liner approach to life. She invited me to join her on an evening to learn about the Mary Kay business she worked at part time because she was a hairstylist! Ha! Shut the Front Door! We had so much in common right off the bat that I was interested in how she supplemented her work money, with her makeup business! You guessed it, I went to the fun little makeup night and was a goner before I even knew it. I signed on the dotted line and began my own Mary Kay business. I was never so excited, I was gonna be RiCh! with tons of lip gloss to boot!!! LIPSTICK for everyone...A ROUND OF BLUSH!!!!! Okay you get it.....I waaaaas on a high like never before because this was new and I needed someone to come along side of me and show me I could achieve something that no one else I knew had done before. Okay I'm going to stop you because right then and there I should have had someone take me aside and SLAP THE SHIT....right out of me. Why you ask?.....go back to the intellectual and emotional talks I've been having with you. Once you understand that home based business's are not solely funded on sales as much as they are led by serving others and recognizing hard work turns into love and service and persistence, someone like myself would not know what to do with more rejection from the world around me while they put me down as I try to climb the ladder of success. I held my head high when I returned to work after a long weekend of explaining it to my mother and family! I thought this is a no brainer- my mother buys Mary Kay and now she can buy from me! I'm an idiot. It isn't so easy to just get family to jump on board your new highway to riches. I should have known my own mother was going to stay loyal to her current lipliner lady. Geesh...hashing this up from my brain is simply depressing. Oh, I moved on...I only had one ridiculously uninterested mother, but the whole world was out there with everyone else's mothers to reach so here goes! So I walked through the salon doors to greet my boss's and tell them the idea I had and moved forward on to create an extra form of income into my pocket!!! Couldn't have gone any less enthusiastically than it did. Had I had anyone able to put a stamp on my forehead it would have said "DUH"......the reaction that I got from the women who barely wore lip stick that I was going to be selling my own, was like watching blades of grass grow. They couldn't have been more distant and bored, almost irritated that I was smiling and sporting the new shade of berry that I had mentioned was on sale and would change their lives forever. I saw no problem trying to get them to spring into action on how they approached their morning routine. Let's Line those lips Ladies! lol I do see now in my head how annoying my perky outlook everyday could have been a nagging sore in their lives, but give me a break, I was trying to make a difference in my life and those less fortunate lips around me. If you know Mary Kay at all, you know years ago they put out pink boxes to allow people to drop info in there to be contacted about skin care and makeup tips. Perfect! I had a small desk area where I was cutting hair everyday and painting nails, that I could sit one box near either area and produce business through people who were already coming into me. I asked them if I could sit one near their stations as well, and was told "No"...we don't solicit customers. Um....I was just in the other room and thought it was a great idea. although that was coming from me the one who wore lipstick...so.....anyway. I started to tell everyone what I was doing and when I was available to do parties outside of the salon hours that I was holding, while still getting to the gym to workout. It was almost impossible to do except for on the weekends and maybe one night a week. Standing all day really takes it out of you. So I didn't let it get me down, but everywhere I went I would put my best foot forward and put on any new makeup sample I had to make me feel beautiful. It worked! I started to generate sales and begin to book parties outside of the salon. Little did I know it was soon going to backfire on me. My age and naivety wasn't helping. I was being used to give free samples and makeup tips out without people actually buying anything at my party. My bubble had been burst. I was devastated. You would think I would get used to being mistreated by women but I don't and never want to. It didn't stop there, I would continue to call the people at work who had put their name in and get dead ends of people changing their minds or not returning my call. It is totally normal actually for all of this to happen. It was just at a time in my life where it was compounding to make it feel worse than it really was. I pushed on just being in the group who bought their makeup for half price and was able to order it for myself. You can't even imagine what it feels like when your local grocery clerk finally asks you to help her with her makeup colors. I was flying high. She was a client of the salon as well and remembered that I had gotten into teaching women how to wear makeup so she thought she ask me. It had been a few months now and I was starting to feel more secure in what I was doing with my small....very small makeup business. I knew where I was working wasn't a healthy place but right now this little side bit was keeping me busy trying to piece it all together. I started to book people on nights I could just walk down from my apartment to work on them instead of facing my one boss all the times she worked. She had started her downward health spiral about 2 years prior to this endeavor I was a part of. So the cosmos collided and one Friday night she cornered me in the back room and asked me why I was booking people earlier in the evening then marking out my book instead of staying later to cut more hair. I had had just about enough of her tough comb routine she was handin' out all over town....so I stood up for myself. I said because I work very hard, more days a week than she did, and wanted an opportunity to do other things. She proceeded to cuss me out (you know all the choice words) for taking advantage of the "system"....what is the "system" anyway? She made it seem as if I was plugging into some sci-fi ponzi scheme. I had decided when the conversation started I wasn't going to take anymore of her bad mommy routine, so now was my time to let her know that. I puffed my chest up like any real broad would have and told her ....I QUIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment